A journey from skinny to the future

Dieses Thema im Forum "Diaries and Success stories" wurde erstellt von JODK9, 17. August 2014.

1. JODK9

JODK9 Hades

Well, every journey starts with an introduction, so let's be off with it :arrow:

Hi there fellow athletes

I'm Jeroen, born in Genk in 1992, so for the mathematical geniuses, yes I'm currently 22.

I've been skinny all my life, sometimes even on the edge of being underweight, even though I eat as much as both my parents combined. I guess you could count me in with those "lucky" *cough* people who can eat anything and never get fat. For the sake of statistics and future reference, here some numbers:

starting weight: 62.5 kg
    length: 1.82m (6ft)
    level of fitness: average

Let's see, what more to tell you... I've been reasonably fit all my life, keeping occupied with swimming, badminton, cycling (mostly to and from school, yeah I know it doesn't really count, but still) and I started running the last couple of years.
    One of the reasons I remain skinny like the way I am, is probably because of the fact that I almost never eat junk food: chips every 2 months or so, McDo euhm... can't remember the last time ;p
    I got bored with soft drinks years ago and the only "evil do'er" is the beer ^^ Can't live in Belgium while being a student and not love the beer combined with some of the stronger stuff :lol:

Anyhow, I tried out freeletics the first time "god..." I think it was about 6 months ago. Trying the free 5 weeks over a period of probably 2 months :p I wasn't very good at scheduling things and keeping to the plan, getting sick, you all know the excuses, tired, muscle aches :roll:
    But then I decided it was time for a change, I got the coach and mostly kept to the schedule :D I finished the coach right before summer, being quite pleased with the results (still skinny, but my form and fitness level definitely increased).

Now ofcourse, summer being a time of relaxation & the exams right before, I tried to keep up with my workouts, but failed, went on holiday, ate sooo much and soo good I can't remember quite the last time that happened before. Result: didn't do almost anything for two months & so I decided once again, it was time for a change which I will now share with you.

The reason I want to share my story is in order to help motivate others (skinny like me, or totally different) that no matter who you are, you can change, you will become happier, stronger, fitter, ... & well I need to stay motivated myself ^^

Let the story begin :D

Anhänge:

2. JODK9

JODK9 Hades

Strength coach week 1

Let the fun begin, first workout of the coach: "Aphrodite"

OMG it's been ages... I was just glad I didn't faint or throw up :mrgreen:
    It was crazy tough, took me 29minutes and a half sweating like a polar bear in the Sahara, broken down like that polar bear who swam from the pole to Africa & then crossed the Sahara... :?

Well, no matter, it was fun starting again, even though I paid for that little bit of fun with two days of very painful muscles :(

But, we have to keep going, still sore, Wednesday I continued none the less, luckily it was just a max workout combined with a short other one. WORK THE PAIN AWAY :cool:

At the end of week I managed to up my game from almost 30m for Aphrodite to 24.02m :eek:
    I was amazed how fast my body adapted to the workouts, warming up proved very necessary to avoid sore muscle, but yeah, worth the little extra time :p

Looking forward to next week :)

Anhänge:

3. JODK9

JODK9 Hades

Haha, well it seems keeping this journal is harder than keeping to my training schedule...
    Well maybe almost. I did manage to complete week 4 of the coach 2 days ago, so I guess I'm not really far behind.

Let's see, right the new app: love it! I think it's great they finally included running into freeletics! I used to run quite a lot up until I started with freeletics, besides school I just had the time to do a "warm up" run to the parc where I work out and that's it. Anyhow, started off last week with 10k right out of nowhere... Haha, what a joy, certainly felt that for a couple of days.
    Thank god as well for the warm up exercices they've included, I believe if I hadn't done them, my legs, ass & whatever else that was hurting would have hurt for a good period longer :lol:

Well anyways, just finished week 4 & ofcourse there's somewhat of a hell week waiting for me the next couple of days. I decided to work out 5 days instead of 4 also because I just get bored without freeletics (maybe since school is starting the boredom might fade -or maybe not -, no matter I'll try and keep it up )

I must say, my stamina & endurance have increased like crazy: workouts I'd do in the beginning of the week & do again at the end almost always go a couple of minutes faster, it's unbelievable!

The only unfortunate thing might be I'm actually losing weight, now for the most of you, that's great, for me: I'm not sooo excited.
    I used to way 63 or something before I started and right now I'm at 61 & something (no digital scale)

Now for the photographic progress

Anhänge:

4. treee111

treee111 Guest

hey mate,

good work! keep going!

5. JODK9

JODK9 Hades

Hehe
    did I say I loved how they incorporated running? Gosh, yeah, why not begin with 2x200m sprint & mix it together with an 8km run? I can still feel the pain in my upper leg and right shin, not a happy feeling. I wish I knew how to stretch near my tighs, cause no matter how calm I go it always hurts :p
    well yeah, let's hope after a couple more sessions my legs get used to it again ^^
    Keep going

6. JODK9

JODK9 Hades

What a crazy week
    I enjoyed some of the nutrition guide recipes this time. Being back in my little student room I get to cook myself and I must say, sweet potatoes with dip, the spanish paella (especially that one) and the chicken with peanut sauce were truely exquisit.
    Just today coach thought it would be funny to see me do 200 squats and 200 burpees, thank god split up
    I was surprised and happy to see I managed to survive :p Besides the fact that my room turned into a swimming pool of sweat (can't run to the parc with a pain in my right leg)

Anyhow, tomorrow morning the last Venus of the week, a picture update and moving on to next week. I'll probably tell coach to take it easy on my leg & maybe see a sport doctor somewhere soon...
    Till tomorrow

7. JODK9

JODK9 Hades

Ok, well it's quite clear I can't keep a regular diary, so just a quick overview of the last few weeks

I enjoyed a crazy hell week 2 weeks back with up to 6 workouts a day I was totally devastaded after each day, but at the same time surprised of what my body could take...

It seems the best remedy for sore muscles is just to keep going :p ofcourse when you can't move, you still shouldn't, but everyday more and more, freeletics is part of life and the day wasn't complete without a workout.

Unfortunately it seems I might have a fracture in my lower leg, so no exercices for that one, which is great that I can simply let coach know and the workouts are adapted, simply great!

Attached a collage of week 6 and 7

Anhänge:

8. JODK9

JODK9 Hades

Well since I haven't posted much, let's just keep going.
    It's been 8 weeks since my start with the new strength coach and right now I'm sore all over... 250 leg levers out of the blue told my upper legs and abs there not 'that' strong just yet :p
    Combine that with a couple of poseidon's 2x and 2 venus, well every muscle I have is simply aching :D Maybe a good idea to rest on this sunday :)

8 weeks is quite the milestone, so what follows a quick collage of the first vs week 8

since pictures don't show your inner self and the light isn't always great ;p maybe a few numbers might give you a better idea

Aphrodite: aug 11 29.34 <> aug 27 22.12
    Hades: aug 18 29.09 <> sep 06 22.29
    Poseidon: jun 06 08.16 <> sep 22 05.13
    Poseidon x2: sep 11.31 <> now 10:37
    Venus: sep 10 21.28 <> oct 04 18:08

For now, freeletics gives you energy, gives you power, gives you joy

Anhänge:

9. Ricardo

Ricardo Hades

Congrats man, keep up the good work!

I am like you, underweight for my height and with difficulty to gain muscle mass. I tend to lose weight very easily. When I am working out I eat a lot more so I don't lose weight. But amazingly, after trying the free 3-week period (well it was only two weeks because I hurt myself I couldn't continue) I gained 2kgs! I don't remember the last time I gained weight!

Ricardo

10. JODK9

JODK9 Hades

Hi Ricardo

Hope you can manage to keep gaining weight, I unfortunately didn't just yet, but I strongly believe that whatever "fat" I had, has now been exchanged for muscle mass. So maybe in the next 7 weeks I can manage to put on some real weight.
    Keep on working!

11. Dominguez

Dominguez Hades

Hey buddy,

really nice to read and really motivating to keep on going!
    Never lose the focus on your goals!

12. JODK9

JODK9 Hades

Wow, finished the week and I'm actually writing about it, clapclap for me :p

This week was a good one, it seems coach decided we should work more on those arms & he's right ;p
    The number of push ups and pull ups I did this week were simply excruciating :? Yet I almost never 'really' felt it the day after... even when I did, I just told myself: just keep bloody going and the pain will fade. Guess what? It did!

I continue to enjoy different recipes from the nutrition guide, even though I'm starting to feel limited, I only received a total of 64 something recipes for breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks & already gave quite a few of em a try...
    Anyone know if you get another nutrition guide, you'll get new recipes or you can only have 1 guide?

Anyhows, love the progress I'm making, all star pull ups are most of the time impossible when you have to do more than 50, but the range of stars is increasing :) maybe once I finished these 15 weeks I'll be able to do 100 stars, that'd be crazy. But that's what freeletics is right?

Picture time! Don't know why I look so down on the last one, but whatever ;)

Next week I'll be on a festival, so no pic update next week, but in 2 weeks I'll do another comparisson, week 1 to 10!!
    Look forward to it :cool:

Anhänge:

13. JODK9

JODK9 Hades

Motivational story just got a bit less motivating, well I'm not proud of my last 2 workouts :cry:
    Why, well coach gave me what I thought to be a couple of swell exercices, quick and easy... Well I guess not
    A simpel Poseidon, not even a 2x, which I've been doing for the last couple of days. I was like, yeah sure, I'll quickly star that workout no probs, first 20 pullups in one go, full star all okay, 20 pushups, wow, maybe goin a bit too fast and after 10 more pullups I was just like: meh I'll sprint this execercice even without star, so the rest of Poseidon I completed none star pull ups... Sure I was much faster than my PB, just no star :oops: Damn I didn't feel good, no matter the fact I was faster, it was just not doing the full motion for an exercice where I should be able to do it, even though much slower....

So lesson learned: when you're able to do the star, even though the fact that you can't go that fast: DO IT, you'll be proud with that STAR, no star, when you know you can, just sucks :evil:

So, today I'm gonna kill myself, Poseidon 2x combined with 3x pullups and every single one of them is going to be a STAR, no matter if it takes me 30minutes. I WILL BE ABLE TO GET THAT STAR and SO WILL YOU, no matter whether my arms are going to fall off (well according to my brain) they won't & I'll be stronger afterwards :!:
    I WILL DO THIS!!!

14. JODK9

JODK9 Hades

Well yesterday was unbelievable...
    I did what I said I would and Poseidon 2x took me a painful 16minutes, BUT I've got the STAR and damn proud of it :D
    Certainly since that first star is always the hardest, after the star PB's usually crumble, you just gotta make the star ;)

Anyhow, the day wasn't over, I still had to complete three '10 pullups', sure after Poseidon I didn't have much hope for my PB, but I was like: I DID POSEIDON 2X FULL STAR, hack I'm gonna kill these couple of pullups... press: start 5... 4... "grabbed the pullup bar" 3... 2... "clear the ground, waiting" 1... GO! Pull up, full release, pull up, full release, damn this is going good :shock:
    10! alright STOP 18s???? My previous was 30! Amazing, alright, relax, get the tension out of my muscles and go again. That was great, probably not going to do that again, but still I will do it under 30s... 5...4...3..2...1 SHOOT And it went just as easy: 17seconds!! :eek: HAHAHA omg, I just couldn't believe what was happening.
    Ok then, last time, I'm simply going to kill it again, Julian does it in 13... I can go faster too. 54321 RUSH go allll the way up, full release, alll the way up and back 16s :cool: This is the way to go

In other words: no matter how slow you go: just do that star workout, your confidence WILL boost and so WILL your PERFORMANCE

15. JODK9

JODK9 Hades

Last workout of the week today, 6am is really a great time to workout. Temperature is just about right after your warmup and it's sooo nice and quiet. Got a surprise today: I thought I had to do 200 pullups (4*50) seemed the last 50 were pushups ^^ Great relief

I kept to my promise and continue to do every workout with a star, first 50 went in a perfect 200secs which I can't complain about, it went all the way down to 5 minutes, but hey, a star was a star :cool:
    Then the sudden surprise that coach set pushups, I was like: ok, new PB here I come! the last time I did just 50 reps (1 month ago in September) I finished just under 3minutes & with coach given me so many venus workouts since then I was confident I would kill it even after 150 pullups. So I did ;) 104seconds, 2s for every pushup :!: and well a quick 4s break after 40 my arms were dying :lol:

Now 1 weekend MFVF, I deserved it :cool:

16. JODK9

JODK9 Hades

Let's begin with something confusing: upper me is now, lower me is 10 weeks ago...
    Spot the 10 differences? I must say I can't :p

Viva ever changing lighting and well simply the problem I can't magically lose weight since I'm still just 62kg :roll: NO weight loss = NO remarkable change

This being the exact word: "remarkable", as in you can't see much, but I feel sooo much. In just 10 weeks my endurance might almost have doubled and well energy levels have risen tremendously.

Let's see, what to say about the previous weeks, coach keeps working the arms, logical since I can't work my lower leg due to a healing fracture... I've discovered I hate my pull up bar at home and prefer a goal ;) which is kinda weird
    Also, the very few times I do train inside, are always sooo much less than when I train outside, the fresh air & cooler temperatures make sure your body doesn't overheat or whatever... Anyhow I just simply feel beter when I train outside

Just the other day I did the last workout of the week poseidon 2x (inside) and even though I killed the PB since last time was my first star workout doing this, I felt terrible. Why? Simple lack of oxygen & probably not waiting long enough after eating. But what I want to say with this is: TRAINING OUTSIDE IS AWESOME, no matter of it rains or not & don't train soon after lunch ^^

Now a little surprise since the upper pics don't really show anything, I've got this pic from the day before I discovered freeletics (March this year) and one from just now after KENTAUROS
    I do like to think I changed somewhat :p

Anhänge:

17. dardonardo

dardonardo Hades

Great change! Good for you!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. Ricardo

Ricardo Hades

I think you can see the difference in the arms/shoulders and abs. Your arms and shoulders seem stronger. Also, there seems to be more definition in your abs.

Maybe you could add chest dips to your workout to help broaden your chest.
    Also, do you mix it a little bit with the pullups? I mean doing chinups, pullups, wide and narrow grip instead of doing only regular pullups?

By the way, good work!
    Ricardo

19. JODK9

JODK9 Hades

Thx for the tips Ricardo, unfortunately I'm in a bad spot right now having had a bad cold followed up by an injury in my upper shoulder which only seems to get worse, even though I haven't done any arm exercices in more than 2 weeks now...
    Anyhow, following up on things with my doctor and trying to get better before I continue once again
    It's a shame how you can't pause your coaching subscription though, I can't do anything about being sick and injured, yet the weeks pass by. Last year you paid for 15 weeks of training, which was much more honest according to me :|

20. Ricardo

Ricardo Hades

I am sorry to hear you are injured. Take care of that shoulder and do as the doctor says. Continue only after you are fully recovered and after completing the resting period prescribed by the doctor. It seems it gets worse to have an new injury before fully recovering. And keep it simple and slow once you start again.

How did it happen?

I remember having read that you could send the Freeletics people a doctor's note indicating you are in fact injured. But I guess since they changed the approach that's not an option anymore (I tried to find it in the help section and couldn't.)

I hope you get better,
    Ricardo

Diese Seite empfehlen